Business Support

Support and Resources

Invest East Riding

Looking for help to start, grow or locate your business?

There are various other council services that could be of assistance when starting, growing or locating your business, as well as assistance from other local support organisations.

What other help and support can the council offer me?

Business and continuity

Help to deal with any unplanned incidents which may affect your ability to operate such as advice on how to create a business continuity plan.

YORSwitch - cheaper business energy scheme

Run by East Riding of Yorkshire Council, YORSwitch cheaper energy scheme takes the hassle out of switching suppliers. The council’s appointed energy broker searches the whole market for the best, bespoke energy deals available and presents them to the company, clearly highlighting the key terms, with no obligation.

Visit Hull and East Yorkshire (VHEY)

The VHEY tourism partnership is open to any business with an interest or involvement in the visitor economy, including accommodation providers, suppliers to the tourism industry, visitor attractions, cafes, restaurants and retail outlets, leisure activities and entertainment businesses.

Visit Hull and East Yorkshire


Information on a variety of licences, permits and registrations to individuals and businesses.

Trading standards

The trading standards service in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council promotes and protects the well-being of the economy and safeguards the health, safety and environment of its residents.

Food business

The food services team deals with a wide range of food safety and standards issues. Activities include conducting food hygiene inspections, dealing with complaints, investigating infectious diseases, food sampling, animal feeding stuffs and food labelling or composition issues.

Health and safety

All employers are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the people they employ and any visitors to their premises. The council can offer advice on health and safety at work for businesses and you can get additional information from the Health and Safety Executive website:

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Business rates

Business rates is the commonly-used term for non-domestic rates. Non-domestic rates are charged on most non-domestic premises, including commercial properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories. The council calculates and collects non-domestic rates on behalf of central government.

Business waste

Business waste is any item that a business no longer wants and needs to get rid of such as paper, kitchen waste, packaging, general dry non-hazardous waste. This can be from shops, pubs, offices, schools, manufacturing, clinics and business premises.

Support for rural businesses

The council's rural policy and partnerships team works with community members and other organisations on a range of rural issues and projects.

The team also coordinates the East Riding of Yorkshire Rural Partnership and the East Riding of Yorkshire and Kingston Upon Hull Joint Local Access Forum.


You can find everything you need to know about applying for planning permission, and how to view details of other people's applications.